Let’s shift the paradigm – instead of inundating journalists and content creators with irrelevant studies, let’s focus on generating resources that provide substantial value to their readership.
The narrative that generative artificial intelligence (genAI) can independently perform digital PR, SEO, or content marketing tasks has been largely debunked. However, tools like ChatGPT bring a new dynamic to the table, enhancing our workflow by accelerating the creation of potent, user-friendly tools. These are assets that content creators are eager to share, given their unique value proposition for their audience.
The degree of task complexity determines whether it can be enhanced, automated, or autonomously executed by machine learning, artificial intelligence (including genAI), or robotic process automation (RPA). In this context, ChatGPT serves as a valuable tool for streamlining complex digital marketing and SEO tasks.
This article delves into how digital marketers and SEO professionals can leverage generative AI to craft valuable assets such as practical tools and widgets that content creators will want to share due to their inherent audience value.
Key takeaways from the article:
• Linkable assets are strategically positioned resources owned by the company, which could be people, processes, or technology.
• The planning for linkable assets begins with a highly specific audience segment.
• Despite the limitations of generative AI, digital marketers can create Google Sheets/Excel templates and then convert these templates into widgets using ChatGPT coding.
What is a Linkable Asset?
A linkable asset is a piece of content that effectively communicates the unique value proposition (UVP) of a company’s owned assets, which include its people, processes, or technology.
These assets draw shares and links due to their unique value proposition, tailored to resonate with content creators, journalists, and audiences. The primary objective is to weave a captivating narrative around the asset that encourages sharing and linking.
Linkable assets narrate a compelling story, which could be in the form of informative infographics, interactive tools, blog articles, interviews, or even case studies. For instance, a BrightLocal study on the influence of online reviews on consumer decision-making garnered over 2,563 links, as per Ahrefs.
The study is the asset, while Miles Anderson brings the asset’s narrative to life through his byline. Anderson and BrightLocal have successfully established a strong brand expectation for high-quality studies.
Planning Linkable Assets
Linkable assets deliver substantial value to the reader. However, not every platform or creator will perceive this value or understand how the content relates to their audience. This challenge calls for creative solutions.
I prefer using a creative framework that begins with identifying your existing assets, establishes a connection between the asset and the customer, and concludes with creatively leveraging these assets.
A framework for marketing linkable assets includes:
• Ambassador: Understand the ideal customer(s) pain points, gains, and workflows.
• Find Assets: Identify the company’s owned assets that alleviate customer pain points.
• Position Assets: Craft a narrative explaining how the asset addresses the customer’s objectives or needs.
• Create Assets: Apply a design-thinking approach to enable the story to be told by internal and external trusted sources.
With the assets identified and the story ready, it’s time to create a compelling content asset.